Sunday, February 3, 2008

1 Nephi 1:1

1 Nephi
1 I, Nephi, having been aborn of bgoodly cparents, therefore I was dtaught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many eafflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a frecord of my proceedings in my days.

September 11, 2003
When Nephi says learning, it seems to refer to the following:
Taught somewhat in the learning of his father
Highly favored of the Lord in all his days
Having seen many afflictions
Great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God

Afflictions teach us. God allows afflictions to teach us, as a favor to us and this shows us his goodness. Because of all this, Nephi wants to share and teach us by what he writes.

1 comment:

Clark said...

In Gospel Doctrine recently we discussed the importance of learning what Nephi's father knew. One significant aspect is that of his language. We will remember that it was written in Reformed Egyptian, which was not his native language. It probably would have been Hebrew. Without it we wouldn't have the same record we have now.

That same learning you mention is a blessing in our personal lives, but I'm grateful for the scriptures which give us the opportunity to learn from other's hardships. I particularly find the lessons that show the pride cycle useful in remembering that I must always develop humility, forgiveness, gratitude, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.